Public Guardian

120 North Grove Street
P.O. Box 1249
Standish, MI 48658


Traci Lynch


Caroline Esslin

Phone: 989-846-2611
Fax: 989-846-4611


Conservatorship:  A conservator is an individual or an organization appointed by the court to manage the estate of an individual, whether a minor or an adult.  MCL 700.1103 (h).  A conservator may be needed if the individual is unable to manage property and business affairs effectively for reasons such as mental illness, mental deficiency, physical illness or disability, chronic use of drugs, chronic intoxication, confinement, and detention by a foreign power or disappearance.  A conservator is responsible for the protected individual's properties and manages all assets and debts on their behalf.  A conservator is a fiduciary and thus must account to the court regarding the management of the person's property.

A conservator may be required if a child inherits money, a minor is injured and is to receive money from a judgment or settlement, or other reasons.

Guardianship:  A guardian is a person appointed by a probate court to make certain decisions about the care of another individual.  This includes giving consent and approval regarding medical treatment or other professional services for counsel and treatment, hospitalization, or where the individual should live.  If necessary, the guardian also has the responsibility for making end-of-life decisions on the individual's behalf.

The Arenac County Public Guardian's office cannot solicit clients.  The client must be referred by a family member, adult protective services or other concerned party.  The family member or Department of Health & Human Services (adult protective services) must petition the probate court and request a public guardian for the individual.  Only the probate court can appoint a client to the guardian's office.

The Arenac County Public Guardian is on call 24/7 should a client have an emergency. The office is under the supervision of the Board of Commissioners.


Department of Human Services;

Probate Court forms;

  • Click on search court form
  • Click on numerical index of Probate Court forms