Arenac County Building Department

Soil Erosion / Sedimentation Control Office

Carla Montney, Dept. Clerk

 Arielle Shell, Assistant. Clerk


120 N. Grove Street 

 P.O. Box 724

Standish, MI 48658




                                                                            BE AWARE BEFORE YOU REPAIR

Office Hours: 

Monday-Friday 9-4:30 pm.
Closed for lunch at varying hours due to customer demand. *

Please see the homepage for Holiday Closing Schedule 

Phone: 989-846-9791 

Fax: 989-846-9188

This department issue permits for residential & commercial construction for units within our jurisdiction according to the Stille -DeRossett Hale Single State Construction Code Act as well as all permits under the Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Act.


CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED; ALL REGISTRATION FEES & PERMIT FEES MUST ACCOMPANY APPLICATIONS EITHER BY MAIL OR IN PERSON (check, cash, money order or now accepting credit cards {processing fee applies to credit card transactions} -permits will not be issued until all requirements are met).

WHEN CALLING TO SCHEDULE FOR AN INSPECTION, PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE and be ready with your permit number, site location address and access instructions for the inspector; in certain instances, the inspector will need interior access of the home and/or structure.

*You can now pay for your permit application(s) online! Serviced by Paymentus; processing fees apply. You must obtain an account number from the clerk prior to making a payment.  Payments attempts made in the online portal without the proper account number will experience delayed processing. 


Use the links above to locate the specific information you may need. Since all projects are unique in nature please use this information as a guide to assist you in obtaining the required permits for your individual needs. If you have questions or require additional information please contact the department via phone, e-mail or in person. We are happy to assist you in the progress of your project; our inspectors are available at your convenience. You will find their individual phone numbers at the "Inspectors and Zoning Officials List" link above or listed at the bottom of this page.

In order to process your request, any or all of the following information is required.  Incomplete applications may be returned without review. 

  • Tax identification number for the particular parcel where work is to be performed; this applies not only to building permits, but also for electrical, mechanical, plumbing & soil erosion. The number can be found either on a tax bill or by visiting the Equalization Department page of this website and select the link "Parcel Information-Property Assessments and Taxes".
  • Land Use/Zoning Approval from your planning commission/zoning administrator including a plot plan with property lines and distances to them clearly marked
  • Do I need a Department of Environment Great Lakes and Energy permit AND /OR  US Army Corps of Engineers permit? /Docs/JPA-Decision-Tree.pdf
  • Foundation drawings, floor plan and cross section detail drawings of any structure.
  • Copy of Septic / Water Well permits or existing system evaluations from the Central Michigan District Health Department (if new construction, addition of bedrooms, replacement of mobile or modular homes)
  • New homes, Converting utility structures to residences, Additions, Porches, Decks (attached or unattached), Swimming Pools, Garages, Carports, Storage Sheds (both pre-built and on-site construction), Pole Barns, Lean-to and even Demolitions are just a few examples of the projects subject to the Michigan Residential Code. Call & speak to our Building Inspector before starting any project to see if you will need a permit. 989-846-9791.
  • Address for the jobsite must be posted clearly visible from the road.  If not clearly marked and the inspector is not able to find it, will likely result in an additional inspection fee. 


Review jurisdiction list above prior to calling:

Building Inspector: Larry Watson 989-312-0800

Electrical Inspector: Bruce Dean 989-312-2275

Mechanical & Plumbing Inspector: Ron Pratt 989-329-7070

Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Agent: Dale Zygiel 989-313-1333

Please remember to call the office to schedule inspections!